We’ve just returned from a few days away in Spain which was just what we all needed. We go to the same resort every year and always have the best time. I was sorting through some photos when we got back when I found some from holidays that Mr Knight and I went on before we had the children and it made me think about just how different getaways are now. We always say ‘it’ll be nice to have a good break’ but the only thing we’re actually getting a break from is the office and our house! The parenting actually kicks up a few notches as you swap lounging on the beach for ALL OF THE ACTIVITIES.
Holidaying Before Kids
- Cocktail at lunch? OH GO ON THEN!
- Late late nights. If you’re tired you can just have a nice long nap by the pool.
- You can go from beach to bar in half an hour which includes a shower and some ‘pre going out’ selfies.
- You go home with a gorgeous tan and everyone remarks at how fabulous you look. You make sure to wear white for a week after you return to really show off that glow.
- You end up on first name terms with the local bar staff.
- Travelling involves mooching around duty free and having a leisurely breakfast before sleeping through your flight.
Holidaying With Kids
- You will need the biggest beach bag the world has ever seen to contain everyone’s sun cream, towels, snacks, drinks, hats, sunglasses etc. which you will have to lug around all week.
- Early nights are essential as you know that you’ll have an early start! (Just like at home but with time difference to factor in. Every morning you wake up and work out what time it really is.)
- Despite being awake from 6am, you won’t actually get out of your accommodation until at least 10am once you have got everyone prepped for a day in sun and packed the bag.
- You spend all week nagging your children to have more suncream on, drink more water and for goodness sake will you just KEEP YOUR HAT ON!
- Travelling is a complete logistical nightmare. Essentially you are just trying to occupy your children whilst you wait in various queues for hours.
- You go home a little bit burnt as your focus was solely on keeping the kids covered…
Relaxing the ‘rules’ feels so good. Ice cream at 10am? Of course! We’re on holiday!
- Getting to spend quality time together whilst seeing your children discover new surroundings is GOLD. Watching your children jumping in the waves is like nothing else and makes all of the other things more than worth it.
Thanks for reading!
Knight Mummy x