I’ve been meaning to get this post up for WEEKS but Little Knight has been such a poorly girl with tonsillitis and a nasty cold that has been making her vomit snot all day and night. Try not to be jealous of my glamorous life.
Anyway! Little Knight is coming up to 19 months now and when she’s not poorly she is WILD. I am really loving this crazy age but it’s challenging to think of ways to keep her entertained when the winter weather keeps us cooped up inside.
These are a few of the cheap and easy activities that we do to keep her occupied.
- Play doh. I also got a little pack of tools from Wilkinsons for super cheap which give her a bit of focus. Sometimes I’ll roll up lots of little balls and then she can squash them which she finds quite funny.
- Cotton wool posting. This is ridiculously quick to set up. I just cut up some paper in different sizes and rolled them into tubes then stuck them up at different angles for Little Knight to post cotton wool balls into.
- Cake tin lining. This is particularly good if I’m trying to do something in the kitchen, I just give her an empty muffin tin and some sillicon cake cases to line it with.
- Colouring. Little Knight likes a combination of crayons and chunky pencils. I pick up cheap colouring books whenever I see them so we’re stocked up.
- Painting. I must admit I will only do this on days where we aren’t going out and when she needs a bath anyway. We do it in our kitchen as I don’t trust the messy mat enough to venture onto the carpet. We have a box of finger paints from Early Learning Centre.
- Stickers. Little Knight is crazy for stickers now which I’m quite glad of as I’m hoping when she’s a bit older we can do reward charts for things. Right now she just loves sticking them around the room and on her toys.
- Water beads. I ordered a load of packs for a couple of pounds from Amazon. They start off tiny and then you add them to water and in 4 hours they grow. They feel great and are bouncy so are really fun to play with and squish. They last about a week before you need a new pack.
- Water play. I put towels down and fill a bowl with water and bubble bath with a few different pouring toys. Little Knight loves splashing around and sometimes I’ll add a few water beads for her to try and find (they sink).
- Reading. It’s even more special now that she chooses her favourite books and remembers certain parts. She has a book box downstairs and shelves in her bedroom so I try and rotate them regularly for a bit of variety. Also if we can venture out, she loves the library (which is completely free!)
- Cornflour. We add water to cornflour on a large tray and Little Knight loves getting stuck in.
So they are just a few of my ideas, PLEASE share any of your toddler/baby activity suggestions as I’m always looking for new things to do. Often the best ones are the simplest!
Thanks for reading,
Knight Mummy x