I think it’s a combination of the fact that we’re having more sunny days lately and that Baby Knight is suddenly growing up at an alarming rate that is making me really appreciate the small things. One of my character flaws is that I am quite materialistic so I’m not going to sit behind my laptop spouting out that I don’t care for expensive things or grand gestures and lead a simple life because it simply isn’t true. The whole point in this blog is that it’s completely honest and not a ‘look at me, I’m amazing’ show. However, whilst I do love all those things, I am getting better at appreciating the lesser valued things in life.
“Some old-fashioned things like fresh air and sunshine are hard to beat.”
-Laura Ingalls Wilder
Of course, certain things obviously bring me joy. My daughter’s smile makes my mummy heart swell and I will write many blog posts about the important aspects of life in the future but right now I want to point out the small and insignificant things that regularly brighten my day. These are just a few examples:
- Going out and buying myself a bunch of flowers. Is that pathetic? I don’t even care! I get to choose exactly what I want in any colour or combination and they brighten up my living room instantly.
- Lighting a big candle after Baby Knight has gone to bed. I feel like it emphasises that it’s grown up time and creates a really relaxing atmosphere. I also just love buying new candles so I have to justify them to Mr Knight by lighting them at every chance I get.
- When that impossible baby stain actually DOES come out of her clothes. Mum win!
- Finding a new episode of Modern Family has been recorded. Mr Knight and I are completely addicted, it’s hilarious!
- Being barefoot in the grass. This is something Baby Knight and I have in common, if we put her on a blanket she crawls straight off to wriggle her toes in the grass.
I hope this has got you thinking about the simple pleasures in your life. Please feel free to share, spread the positivity and all that jazz.
Thanks for reading,
Knight Mummy x